This one-room school was erected about 1805 on a site in Pleasant Valley in South Wolfeboro. At one time, schools were given the name of the district in which they were located. The Pleasant Valley School was located in District Three and was, for a time, known as the District #3 School. It was also known as the Townsend School because of its proximity to the home of Reverend Isaac Townsend, the first minister ordained in Wolfeboro.
A bell for the school was purchased by public subscription in 1898. It was 21 inches in diameter, weighed 100 pounds, and cost between $7 and $8. It was used as a fire alarm and to call worshippers to Sunday services. It was not used to summon children to school. The building was used for religious services more than any other local school until well into the late 1890's.
From the beginning years, repairs were necessary, one such repair required removal of the entire ceiling. One report states that there were no outside facilities, but that can be disputed by a picture on page 263 of the Bowers History, Volume II . When, indeed, no facilities were available, the children would go to the neighbor's farm. Drinking water had to be transported to the schoolhouse from a neighbor.
A stove sat between the doors at the front of the room in a shallow box filled with five inches of sand. The stovepipe spanned the length of the room to the chimney in the rear. Heat for the room came from this pipe.
The teacher's desk, made by a preacher/teacher was on a raised platform in the center of the room. The original benches were replaced in 1895 at a time of refurbishing. Some of those replacements are now in the Schoolhouse. All grades were taught in this room, with the number of students ranging from 20 to 50, depending on the time of year.
The Schoolhouse was moved to the Clark Museum Complex in 1959.