This house was built in 1778, the builder unknown. It remains on its original foundation and was once the family home of a 100-acre working farm that extended from South Main Street to the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee.
Joseph Clark purchased the house in 1817 from the widow Evans who used the house as a tavern. Taverns in those days were establishments for eating and sleeping as opposed to how we perceive taverns today. Joseph Clark was a cabinetmaker from Greenland, NH, a town near Portsmouth. Three generations of the Clark family lived in this house for one hundred years, from 1817 to 1917. The families were Joseph and Comfort Clark and children, Enoch and Sarah Clark and their 10 children, and finally, Greenleaf Clark, who was one of Enoch's sons.
In 1917 the house and remaining land were donated to the Town of Wolfeboro by Greenleaf Clark to be used as a living history museum. The ell and barn were taken off the property. We do not know what became of the ell, but the barn was moved to nearby Goodrich Road where it stands today.